Old 04-29-22, 12:23 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I don't have any current photos with the bikes, but we have four different racks, all Yakima as well as a Rocket Box and a set of cross bars. I have stuck with Yakima not because I necessarily think they're "the best" but they're fine quality and work perfectly, in other words, good enough. Many years ago I got a Rocket box and the cross bars because that was what was available locally. So as I've added stuff, I decided to just stick with the Yakima lock system so I only have one key to deal with. All of these racks lock onto the car and also secure the bikes onto the rack, all with the same key. (between all of the stuff I have 11 or 12 lock cores).

The only one that touches the frame is the Raptor and so far I haven't had any paint damage from it. I just make sure the frame and the clamp padding are clean/free of grit before attaching. BUT....

....BUT: 90+% of the time I just slide the bike into the back of my Impreza (fits without taking the wheel off), or put it on a fork mount in the bed of my pickup (which holds 3 bikes easily on fork mounts, 4 with some effort.) I always prefer to have the bikes inside the car or the shell of the pickup. Clean and secure.

Fork lift:

Front Loader (my favorite roof rack):

Raptor - also easy to use, except the frame clamp is not optimal, but much cheaper than the Front Loader :

Holdup 2 (which I use a 1-1/4" to 2" receiver adapter to install on my Subaru with the 1-1/4 receiver). Heavy to put on and off, but extremely secure and solid. Folds up without any rear vision impairment on my Impreza.