View Single Post
Old 04-29-22, 07:16 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Exactly. Then why do you think reducing the bolt shoulder diameter to fit inside the extractor cover, as designed, would be a problem?
As long as the bolt shoulder is the correct diameter and can be torqued flush against the crank, not too large in diameter to fit, you are removing material that was hopefully designed to hold the crank onto the bottom bracket. While the bolt shoulder is designed to pull the crank, its main function is to hold the crank in place.

I have no clue if reducing the diameter will have any impact or not; and I don’t really care. Self extracting systems are a convenience for an occasional removal, chainring or BB replacement, and removing the cover and the crank bolt and pulling the crank with a Park tool is a minor inconvenience.

Occasionally there are problems where the cover doesn’t hold when pulling the crank and it becomes more of a pain than it is worth, so I just take that out of the equation.

John