Old 05-02-22, 12:37 PM
FredMau

Bikes: Blue Max Plateau EX, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Neon green does have a problem standing out against a backdrop of green, like trees. There was once a picture on YouTube that showed a cyclist wearing neon green riding through a city, he stood out really well, but when he was riding through a thickly tree lined area he blended in and was more difficult to see. But when they changed to a neon orange the rider stood out better against a tree background, but not so good in a city background. They don't have a safety vest that combines the green with the orange, which makes me wonder why? Is there some sort of issue doing that that I'm unaware of?
I've got one. It's made by "3A Safety", style # S2001. They call it a "surveyor's vest", but there's no law that says a bicyclist can't wear one too. The white inside the orange is reflective. First two photos are in normal light. Third is with the lights off using a small penlight to show how the reflective strips light up.

The fourth picture is how the whole vest lights up under blacklight (The yellow looks green and the white looks blue). That's not as silly as you might think, because modern car headlights put out some UV, and some manufacturers are deliberately adding extra UV just for things like this.

Federal Highway Administration: Ultra-Violet Headlamp Technology for Nighttime Enhancement of Fluorescent Roadway Delineation and Pedestrian Visibility I am especially impressed by Figure 3 on page 17 (at bottom). It wouldn't surprise me to see this become a DOT headlight standard at some point.