View Single Post
Old 05-02-22, 02:10 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Is the clamp on the stem rough around the edges and around the hole where the actual stem meets the clamp part of it? That's about all I can think of to explain the curved marks. Some almost a complete circle. My Specialized and Easton stems are pretty smooth and rounded edges in those areas of the clamp. They haven't made marks like that on my steerer tube.

Even so, I still say take it and let someone experienced see it in person.
No, the stem edges are not quite sharp, it is brand stem - Ritchey. I am sure that the reason of the issue is the high flex of the steerer forward, during stand-up pedaling and strong brake on descents. The flex is aggravated by big height of the spacers - 35 and then 30 mm. Also by the fact that fork and frame have minimum material - it is rated as 6.5kg bike overall and it probably really is below 7kg without pedals. I'm pretty sure that it is not yet catastrophic especially that the new marks with 30mm spacers are only scratches. But I think I should protect and reinforce the steerer somehow, before it goes too bad. Removing most of the spacers is a technical solution, but I can't face a very big drop to handlebars...