View Single Post
Old 05-03-22, 05:31 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Seat stays- look for vent holes
i think there will be a need to arrest internal rust there, maybe the fork and the rest of the frame too.
not to scare, but there will be work to do.
oxalic acid bath ?
but really pay attention to the fork and seat stays
The insides of the frame (what I can see, at least) actually looks pretty good. I sprayed some WD40 into the chainstays from the BB, let it sit for a while then drain out the vent holes by the dropouts and it came out looking pretty clear. Unlike my other bikes, there aren't vent holes at the top of the seat stays, and the ones by the dropout are very tiny, so I'm not sure how to deal with those- assume/hope that with the tops sealed it's unlikely much moisture got inside them?

It's a nice frame, though not notable/valuable enough to warrant an expensive restoration, so I'll try my hand at a DIY/rattlecan paint job with it. If I can find an axle & dustcaps for the Maillard 700 rear hub (and get the inner/remnants of the freewheel that's on there off... really hoping that maybe because the freewheel remnant is Suntour it means the threading is English....) I'll build up a wheelset with a pair of polished Sun M-13II rims I've got lying around. Decided to keep the build mostly original and I'll either pass it on to someone it fits or keep it around as an extra bike for when friends visit (assuming said friends can handle vintage/friction shifting!).