View Single Post
Old 05-03-22, 07:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Sealant for Tubeless

Reading an article about the latest Onza sealant I noticed some interesting claims. The article made me wonder about the claims and whether they were actually true or even anything new. Just marketing hype? More reason to use tubeless? Enough reason to switch brands next tubeless tire install? At the moment my MTB is the only tubeless setup in the fleet, but I'd go tubeless without hesitation if buying a new setup for touring.

One claim was that it had micro fibers that allowed it to permanently close a 6mm hole. That sounds like a pretty good thing and maybe possible.

The other big claim was that it never dries up. That was it seems based on an expected 8 month life of a tire. If it does dry up, presumably because your tires last longer than 8 months, they claim "you can simply top it up with water to re-suspend its hole-plugging synthetic latex and microfibers".

I have to wonder about adding plain water. Does that really work? If so is that really unique to this particular brand or can you do it with other water based sealants? I know that many (most? all?) brands are water based.

This is the link that I was looking at:
https://bikerumor.com/onza-tubeless-...-never-dry-up/