View Single Post
Old 05-08-22, 10:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 1,153 Posts
I have not slept under a tarp since I was in boy scouts or a scout leader decades ago, and when I did it was for an overnight and in an area with plenty of trees. Back then I was using what I think was called a Gerry Pioneer. It could be zipped into a tube tent shape but I never used it that way. Had mosquito netting than hung down on the two ends to the ground but if it was buggy, that was insufficient.

That said I often bring a tarp on canoe trips in case there is a windy rainy day, too wet and windy to travel and a tarp is more pleasant to wait out a day than in a tent. Some of the tarps for hammock camping might be ideal for you. I bought an Eno tarp at a REI scratch and dent sale that had a couple tears in it, I glued on patches to patch the tears. That would work great with a couple trekking poles and some stakes to sleep under. As noted above, the bike can serve as one of the poles.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: