Old 05-10-22, 07:32 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked 3,815 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
“Sales tax is a gubmint thing, not an ebay thing, can't blame them for death and taxes.”

I find it funny that when I sell things on eBay from Japan, from a business registered in Japan, and payments being made to a Japanese account that eBay collects American state sales tax. Japan requires sales tax only on things sold in Japan. I stopped selling on eBay and set up my own site, and do not collect sales tax on foreign transactions. It says a lot that my first month’s sales from a new store without marketing or strong online presence was higher than several months of eBay sales combined. Not only do I not have to charge sales tax, I don’t have to pay eBay’s fees or deal with their endless and everchanging BS. eBay used to be fun, but not anymore.
Your state collects the tax, not the origin state or country. I buy from Illinois, Illinois charges me 8%. I buy from Texas, Illinois charges me 8%. I buy from Italy, Illinois charges me 8%.

Ever do taxes? Know the part where you tell the state if you had internet purchases from outside your state? That's what ebay collects.