View Single Post
Old 05-16-22, 01:16 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 381 Posts
I know a lot of people say they love the ride of hi-ten steel bikes like Peugeot UO-8s, Raleigh Grand Prixs, Gitane I-forget-the-model-names, Motobecane Mirages/Super Mirages, etc., but with $1,000 to spend, I strongly recommend sticking to double-butted frames - Reynolds 531, Columbus SL/SP, Ishiwata 019, 022, or 024, Tange Champion #1 or #2, some of the Vitus tubing. The steel is stronger than hi-ten tubing, so you get a better strength-weight and a better ride, IMO.

In addition, I urge you to do test rides of different candidate bikes to find out what you like. I believe geometries changed during the late 1970's, from each vendor taking their unique approach to square frames with tight rear triangles from the '80s to now. You might like one approach much more than you like another.

Fit is the most important criterion for choosing a bike - you'll ride it if it feels good; you won't if it doesn't. There are limits to the adjustments you can make in how a frame fits. The frame's tubing can't be changed, so I view that as the 2nd most important element of a bike purchase decision.

Actually, wheels/tires are probably 2nd most important element of liking a bike. Well-built, light wheels and good tires can make a lot of dull bikes seem to take wings; I would not be surprised if a UO-8 with sewups didn't fly. But wheels and tires are a lot easier to change than fit or tubing. (If I can build wheels, anyone can.)

Last edited by philbob57; 05-16-22 at 01:26 PM.