Old 05-17-22, 12:57 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
A very lucky find - (almost) unmolested quirky 33 year old Cinelli

I'm feeling extremely fortunate lately when it comes to neat "finds". I recently saw this pop up for sale in my neighborhood just a few hours after it was posted and I jumped all over it as I don't think the seller knew much about it.

The story I was told was that the seller was the second owner and had been gifted it after it had hung on the first owners wall for decades. The seller used it as a "campus bike" and stopped riding after graduation, putting it in a "old dusty but covered and dry shed" for years.

I guess it being a daily campus bike explains the turned up bars and the "enhanced" brake levers (thankfully the original weren't ditched!). It also explains the hilariously incongruous "new brake pads".

I don't know much about Cinellis so would love any additional info on this bike. From what little research I did, it sounds like it is a pretty rare Cinelli (if not extremely high end or particularly fancy) in that it was only made for a single year, 1989?

So it seems like it's a 1989 Cinelli, a Mens Sana In Corpore Sano made from Columbus Cromor tubes. It has a chrome drive-side chain stay, chrome Cinelli dropouts, kind of be-winged fork bridge caps, a Cinelli stem, bars, and some other nice details.

It looks like it has an absolutely complete Campagnolo Croce d' Aune gruppo... including the delta brakes! They're filthy but looks like they're in awesome condition underneath the dust and dirt.

It also has a really nice (and very dirty) set of true spinning Campagnolo Omega Strada Hardox aero rims. What an absolute score!

I just had to share. If anyone knows anything about this model please let me know. Thanks!