Old 05-18-22, 04:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 975 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
I don't recall a photography museum there. I was there about 6 years ago. The zocalo was mostly closed off due to construction.

Were you touring in Hidalgo? It's pretty mountainous. I wasn't touring there. We arrived by bus from El Tajin, an archeological site in northern Veracruz state near Papantla. The new road from Papantla to Hidalgo had stunning scenery.

A year ago, I read a novel titled "Mexican Gothic" by Silvia-Moreno-Garcia. She is from Mexico, and I believe lives in Vancouver now. She wrote the novel in English. Real del Monte (which has an English cemetery) was the basis for the village in the novel. To be honest, I don't like that genre of fiction, and this book did not change that.

Empanadas. Both countries make them, but the size is very different in each country. I think the Chilean ones are the big ones.
I was in Pachuca I think in 2018, and I think I read about the museo de la fotografia somewhere and went walking and found it (was closed the day I went actually, but went back the next day)
I don't think it was new, in fact the super friendly (and very very short) Indio lady tour guide told me that she had worked there a good long time, 15, 20 years at least I believe, now that I recall more--so I believe their photo collection and museum have been there a long while. I spoke to the director for a few minutes to tell her also how impressed I was with the place, and how well the guided tour gave such a good overview of photography in general, and the aesthetic angle too.

I was touring in the area ish, I started in Oaxaca and made my way up to Leon, but took a wide berth around Mexico City, hence running into Pachuca. I like riding in mountainous areas, but we also hit a lot of biiiiiiiiiiiig open plain areas in central Mexico, which I found pretty darn cool also to ride through. Pachuca from memory wasnt that bad to ride into and out of, nothing compared to other cities.
I really liked seeing different parts of Mexico, and would love to return to tour again in some other areas. So many places to see , but also as you know, often family and stuff obligations. Good excuse though to stay in shape, hopefully still able physically to do this stuff as we age more and more, year by year.

will look up Mexican Gothic, curious now.
thanks