Old 05-23-22, 07:08 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,810 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
2. If you’re half competent with a file, and have a half decent file in reasonable condition, this is a sub 10 minute task for the pair.
Took about 40 minutes for one with a new file. FYI...Titanium is HARD!!
3. The big question is how you’re going to hang on to it. A bench vise would be decent, though installing it into the spindle with no crank arm and using care not to carve up your frame’s BB shell would likely do just fine. You can slip the crank arm on the opposite side to stop spindle rotation.
Put the 7MM torque wrench socket into the drill, put the bolt onto the Allen head, held it in my lap and put the file up to it while watching The Office. Kept measuring with the dust cap and a caliper.
4. Off topic, but I rather like self extracting crank arms. They don’t look quite as nice as a nice flush dust cover IMO, but we’re really getting into the weeds at this point.
I too prefer the flush dust caps of older Dura Ace, but racing teams back in the day didn't even use them, so the Octalink setup doesn't look to bad to me. I like the no-nonsense functional look.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions--it takes time, but is doable.

Last edited by smd4; 05-23-22 at 07:17 AM.