View Single Post
Old 05-27-22, 03:15 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 274 Posts
I have the TRP Spyre Slc mechanical disk brake calipers on my Spesh Aethos.
They are great calipers and boy do they have stopping power. They aren't like hydro's and I don't expect them to be but it was easier, because I had the parts and it is not easy to find hydro ultegra shifters especially wholesale (lbs employee). But they have far more stopping power than the Ultegra rim brake calipers.
I won't say they are easier to install, maintain, etc. compared to hydro because once you have the hydro's set up properly you really don't touch them again, perhaps for several years when a fluid change "may" be necessary.
Mechanical brakes do require more maintenance...not much more but the cables do stretch requiring some adjustment here and there but once the stretching stops you really don't have to touch them again for some time either.
Cleaning your brake pads, whether disk or rim doesn't matter, should be part of your normal maintenance cycle. Same with the rotors. I use a clean cloth sprayed with a water/alcohol mix or Windex in a pinch lol. I fold the cloth in half and run it between the disk pads...move to another clean spot and repeat until the cloth is no longer dirty. I use the same cloth, clean area, to wipe both sides of the rotor while inspecting it for wear marks, etc.
I've done similar with my rim brakes and never had a braking problem in near 40 years of riding and racing.
Take care of your stuff, learn how to take care of your stuff and you will have years of problem free riding....Ride On ! ! !
Likes For Kai Winters: