Old 05-30-22, 07:49 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
In my experience this frustrating problem can resolve itself, just be extra cognizant about your pedalstroke. My dads bike does this when he rides in his little front gear much to his dismay, but I can get it to work because he mashes really hard. You can kind of wear a new chain to an old casette
Limit my power each time I put on a new chain? I would rather avoid that and periodically check the chain for stretch instead and replace shortly before the maximum recommended stretch is reached.

I deal with plenty of ~20% gradient climbs, some pretty long so there's no way to take it easy and you can't afford the chain to skip under such conditions.

Plus, the practice of allowing chain to stretch beyond maximum allowable will accelerate wear of the cassette and chain rings. It is not a good economy and skipping imparts huge load on your drivetrain. That's bad to the BB, cranks, hub body, etc. You'll end up wearing those parts sooner or worse, failure during ride.

The next time you put on new cassette and chainring, begin the good practice of periodically checking for chain stretch and replace as soon as stretched to maximum recommended.

Last edited by koala logs; 05-30-22 at 07:53 AM.