View Single Post
Old 05-31-22, 10:17 AM
rovis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So there are holes there already. What is the shiny metal looking stuff in the hole on the left? A threaded insert or remnants of a rivet?
Did any of the CF repair places you talked to go into any detail about what they do?
However still with glass work on my sailboat, I found that even it you do a piss-poor job the first time, you can always come back and rip it out and do a slightly less piss-poor if not perfect job the next time.
There have been DIY'ers here in the past that messed around with actual CF repair kits and seemed to do a very good job.
Not really, LBS's had same ideas as were exposed here, the CF repair shops either wanted to take a closer look (none close enough to warrant a trip), or simply quoted their standard starting prices (around $300 for most places).
The holes in the frame let me think this part was most likely riveted, not even glued to the frame. If you look close enough at the photo, you can't see any residue from any glue where the contact between part and frame was. You can see a round outline of the original and gunk accumulation. In between holes, there's a cleaner area, which either was the contact patch between frame and part, or simply not, depending how the profile of the original was.
It also looks like one rivet came off cleanly, the other got partially severed.

Waiting on the replacement part from cycle-frames and will attempt the epoxy and maybe riveting.