Old 06-02-22, 05:01 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
So, any 3/32 X 1/2" chain?

Tell me about chain flexibility and its effect on shifting. I'm assuming you mean lateral flexibility as tensile flexibility is nil (hopefully).

If I'm using a 5 speed freewheel and a Nuovo Record rear derailleur (up front, too), which will provide the crispest shifts? I just love that "snick" when I shift, as opposed to "rattle, rattle, clank".
a question similar to this came up on the Classic Rendezvous list a while back. I have a bike with the old bushed chain and a few with the newer bushingless chains (PC-48), so it wasn't too hard to take photos to illustrate the flex of each chain.

I started with each derailleur adjusted to the chain was centered on a sprocket. Then I just moved the shift lever forward, allowing the derailleur spring to push the chain to the right as much as it could. The stiffer bushed chain didn't move as much as the more flexible bushingless chain.

Here's the shot of the bushed chain (i.e. a Raleigh International with the original chain, with a 13-24 five speed freewheel and a Campy Nuovo Record derailleur). The rivets protruding from the sides of the links are clear indication of the older bushed chain:

Here's the shot of the newer Sachs PC-48 bushingless 8 speed chain (a Raleigh Team with a regular space 6 speed SunTour 13-24 freewheel and a Campy Super Record derailleur). As can be seen, the chain flexes quite a bit further. This means that when you are trying to move that chain over to the next cog, it's going to flex quite a bit further before it starts moving.

of course, the 8 speed chain has more bevels and other features that make it happier to just hop onto that next cog. As such, it needs less force to get it onto that cog, and with less force, less flex will occur.
IMHO, the 8 speed provides better shifting even with the greater flex. For what it's worth, I just rode the International 73 miles today with no problems. The shifting isn't bad, but it is slower and different.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: