View Single Post
Old 06-02-22, 07:45 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
Pulling a tire off and switching tubes or patching the tube is a key skill. It's the difference between a long walk home or calling in a favor from a friend with a truck or van to fetch you from mid ride.
Plus, it's quite rewarding to be able to fix a flat; you can even help out other riders and reap the karmic rewards!
Hints that save me and I'm sure others a LOT of problems. Line up the sidewall label on the tires with the stem of the tube and so they are on the same side of the bike. The right hand side is the more photogenic thanks to the crankset and chain so I always used that side for the tire sidewall markings too. This will permit you to landmark where you find the leak in the tube to a location in the tire.
This is a good idea. My variation is that I line up the tire pressure markings with the valve stem; that way I can find the right pressure range for a give bike more quickly.
With the leak in the tube tracked to an area of the tire CAREFULLY feel around inside the tire to see if you can find the shard of glass or wire that caused the flat. Remove the offender. Only THEN replace the tube and take the flat home with you for repair. Otherwise you'll have a second flat within a very short time. Only very seldom does something stick through the tire and then pull out. Usually the item stays in the tire to cause further trouble.
Excellent advice!
EDIT- I didn't see Sweek's post saying the same thing until I'd written my reply. I'll leave it here as reinforcement on how important this one sole skill is to anyone that rides a lot and rides out to some fair distances.
A little reiteration never hurts!