View Single Post
Old 06-03-22, 02:34 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 260 Posts
OK. So I could buy two for the price of one Park Tool Stand.
Here is my philosophy on tools. Many probably share my philosophy as well. I buy the best tool I can afford. If I can afford to buy a $100 dollar tool that does the job well versus a $50 dollar tool that's just ok but I save $50, I will buy the $100 tool. Here is why, over the last 40 years I have worked in bike shops as a young man and in technology as a career. All that time I did all of the work on my own bikes. Working in bike shops I learned what good tools can do and more importantly I learned how bad cheap tools can be.

Good tools you buy once, cry once but you skip the frustration, the barked knuckles, the stripped fasteners, the scratched paint, the dropped bikes, the bent bikes, the wheels that took too long to true, etc. If you want a bike stand that will do the job well with no compromises a Park bike stand is the way to go...has been for years.

I have two Park stands but my favorite is the Park Team Issue (PRS-22) because I can gain access 360 degrees, raise or lower the bike and it will fit any bike I put into it. It ain't cheap now but I bought it probably 10 years ago and darn glad I did. It looks great standing next to my Park Pro wheel truing stand which I've had for over 30 years.

If all you want to do is the occasional repair, then by all means save the money. If you want a good tool that will service you for the rest of your life and do a fine job, then buy the better stand.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 06-03-22 at 02:41 PM.
Likes For drlogik: