View Single Post
Old 06-06-22, 10:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3343 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I've never seen a real touring bike that weighs less than 30lbs. You need certain parts to provide the mandatory capabilities. None of the weight is optional, and it all adds up. You can save some weight by using light weight components, but at the high end, parts become very expensive. Group set alone costs an extra $1000 to save about 1 lb of weight. When you add carbon fiber bars, stem, and seatpost, you'll end up spending $1500 to save less than 2 lb of weight.
It begs the question, what kind of tourer ?. Folks get away with 22 lbs gravel bikes, and 25 lbs mt. bikes with no suspension forks, then go the bikepacking route with a preponderance of light camping gear designed originally for lightweight backpacking, plus smaller bikepacking bags with no racks. Pretty easy to see how they end up with bikes whose total weight is maybe 30 -35 lbs, vs,. an honest to god steel or aluminum "real" tourer with front and rear rack, F & R panniers, full fenders, where the bike alone weighs 30-35 lbs, then you add the not so light camping gear and all the other "quality of life" accessories and the next thing you know you are at 50 lbs. To each his own is my attitude.