View Single Post
Old 06-06-22, 10:24 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3318 Post(s)
Liked 2,156 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've (short) toured with my 21 lb all-road/gravel bike, which is what made me decide to invest in a purpose-built touring bike. I get the attraction of minimalist bike-packing, but for on road long touring, front and rear racks and panniers have significant advantages. I have an ultra-light tent, sleeping pad and bag, but for me this is more about volume than weight per se.
I purchased the Miyata pictured in previous posts, 25 years ago. I had never really loaded it with front panniers (recent purchase), The fork on this bike is most likely ridged gas pipe, and when I would use this bike for JRA or for commuting (never with a front load) if I hit a hole or bump, the fork would give me a BAM, very hard hit. When I did a test tide with loaded Ortlieb's, I was pleasantly surprised that the fork smoothed out and the ride of the bike was remarkably pleasant and well mannered. It was truly designed to be a loaded touring bike and was finally in it's elements and being used as designed. Glad I held onto it all these years.