Old 06-06-22, 02:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
my only point of comparison are other bikes with mechanical derailleurs, which have required adjustment more often than that. just my own experience - electronic shifting is more "reliable." could be an outlier. i didn't ride road bikes in the 80s, but i have ridden road bikes from the 80s, and i do think a modern carbon bike with electronic shifting, brifters, a wide gearing range, tubeless tires, a power meter, etc is noticeably better in ways that matter to me. i completely understand that those may not be ways that are better for someone else.

I don't have any problem with that, except I put many, many more than 1500 miles between adjustments on mechanical derailleurs. . My issue was with the notion that older bikes were less reliable and the suggestion that the ease of working on them was a bug, not a feature. Bicycles have pretty much always been very durable machines. I have no idea what the longevity of e-shifting components is going to be, but mechanical stuff has been lasting for many, many decades.
Likes For livedarklions: