Old 06-08-22, 07:02 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That's funny. I don't find the Panaracers hard to get on and off. And as soon as I typed that, I realized almost all of my Panaracers have been wired on. Easier to deal with. The 38c I have for a gravel front is folding and it is a little harder to get on, especially brand new getting started. Overall, Paselas have been a joy to own and ride. All except they cannot touch the weight, feel, cornering and rolling resistance of the near race Vittoria Corsa Gs and Open Paves. Completely different animals.

On Pasela quality control, I've ridden probably a dozen or more into the ground, have about half a dozen on wheels and bunch more with varying miles hanging I mounted and forgot about. Maybe a tire or two with cord issues at the bead (though I cannot sy for sure that wasn't me damaging it - that cord is light. They are as close to a simple mount and use, dismount and repair tube when flat and go on with no surprises. In fact, almost boring. Most rides I never think about them. (I do pay attention in the wet. They aren't the grippiest. The big ones with suitably low pressure are pretty decent. It is clear that Panasonic opted to go slightly harder, less glass-prone and better wear. All tires are compromises/balancing acts between the characteristics. Paselas have found a balance I like a lot in the city, at night and for bikes I just grab to ride. Also long rides that involve real amounts of both pavement and gravel. (With the wider opes and a hand pump, riding the pavement at 60-75 psi and dropping to appropriate squish off-road, pumping back up to do the 35 miles home - pretty close to sublime.)
Very interesting, ‘Mooney! Can you make a guesstimate of what pressure you use softened up for non-paved? Sounds like it’s probably 40 psi or so?