koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Speed is fun in the right place

i do agree with you on balance of the bike. For a tall rider and my proportions, most new bikes put me too far forward with one of the problems being what you describe. When braking hard, I really can't get my weight far enough back on most of my bikes although one custom bike is much better.

WRT to wildlife, I was on a club ride a few years back and we approached a bunch of deer in a cut cornfield. I could see that they could run into us, so, I slowed way, way down. One of the deer jumped right over the head of the lead rider. He had no clue and never touched his brakes. I was in a pack once and a squirrel too a rider down. Two dogs attacked me and the little one caught into my front spokes taking me down.....there was not a damned thing I could do. A truck mirror clipped my shoulder sending me into a corn field, no real injuries on that. The notion that crashing is avoidable is really naive.
I'm glad you see my point on bike handling.

I also agree with you that some situations are unavoidable with luck playing its part. But won't you agree that shorter braking distances would make your bike safer to ride? Just the fact you know it's more resistant to flipping over if you press the brakes hard will help build confidence in braking instead of being timid at using them.