Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
The tent started out as a hammock tent, but because of the issues you stated I decided it is to be used as a ground tent, along with the fact I don’t know if I trust my sewing skills to suspend me above the ground. This is the first time I have used a sewing machine in about 30 years.

As I said in my last post, the sleeping bag and pad don’t have to stay inside the tent, and the probably won’t…. But here is a question for all of you saying the bag should always be put away separately from the tent…. I have a sleeping bag that has a bivy cover attached to the bag… what is the difference between this and having a tent and bag packed up as one unit?
The difference is that with the attached bivy, you leave it out in the sun to dry before you pack it up. If it's wet, I dunno. Not a good idea anyway. Cut it off and use a separate bivy bag? Not really a good idea either except for that one-time bivy when you found a good ledge below the summit when it became obvious you weren't going to summit in daylight. That's what bivvies are for. It's a wonderful thing to have along just in case. In the mountains, I carry a bivy bag and appropriate extra clothing, no sleeping bag.

For non-mountaineering, nothing beats a tent with fly and a bag. Rain, massive mosquitoes, snakes, no problem. I like a tent where I can take all my bags into the tent with me. Bikepacking, that won't be much.