View Single Post
Old 06-13-22, 08:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,161 Times in 2,784 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
Depends on WHERE the cable broke. My shifter just broke at the hand about 0.5 in. after the nipple. Has another used shifter with plenty of good slack after the shift nipple. I'm going to splice the orig (coming from derail.) to the new-used scrap I had around ... right at the downtube. Spiral loop the the two for about 12in, 7-8 plastic cable ties and then JB weld much of that. Pictures comin' soon!
Keep in mind this thread was dormant for 2 years!

For those looking for good advice just get a new cable they are pretty cheap even a galvanized cable is going to be better than zip ties and jb-weld. However don't use galvanized cables just get a proper slick stainless cable, install it correctly and replace it when needed. Cables are important pieces and broken ones are no good and wasting time and effort and extra money to bodge it together isn't sensible unless out on the road away from a shop. Be safe out there.