Old 06-17-22, 12:14 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 414 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the input.

Re-waxed chain hanging and cooling right now. Again, with Molten Speed Wax brand already pre-infused with additives, I held off adding more; I hope that's not a mistake.

After some 100's of miles, always in the dry but once in a while unable to avoid a puddle, the chain did not look like it needed anything; indeed, I wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and not much dirt transferred to the cloth. If/when I build an all-weather bike, I suspect I'll see at least some additional soiling of the chain. The freewheel looks nice on the teeth, but on non-chain-contact surfaces I see what I suspect are deposited tiny particles of wax, it looks almost like dust.

I liked the idea of pre-heating the chain along with the wax, so both went in the saucepan. That and the "hot plate" went to the porch, which is at 100F ambient today so melting the wax had a "head start". Turned the hot plate on to Medium, checked it after 10 minutes, getting there but not yet. Checked again at the 15 minute mark, already at 207F Hopefully did cause any issues due to "heating too fast" and, of course, next time I'll try the Low setting first. Once it cools, and the usual stiffness-breaking (I'll use a broom handle or something, I forget what I used earlier), ready for an install and test ride (much cooler weather coming fortunately); having lost about 2 weeks due to illness, I really miss riding.

Originally Posted by nlerner
This site says 5g of PTFE and 1g of MoS2 per 1 lb of paraffin
Originally Posted by sced
I use an old saucepan that I put on that stove at low heat - easy peasy