Thread: Shorts or bibs?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-22, 11:36 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4846 Post(s)
Liked 3,977 Times in 2,583 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Bibs. They don't slide down so there is never any "plumber's butt." Since no waistband is needed to keep them up (more or less), they are less constricting in the waist.

The downside is that bathroom breaks are more complicated, especially going #2, but that really is not an issue on most rides and is a small price to pay for better function and comfort.

tiger1964 Just get some clip-on suspenders for your shorts. That works pretty well. I use this solution for my tights.
The compromise I've been doing for 45 years that works so well I've never gone to bibs - clip-on suspenders. The advantages of both. Bathroom needs and clothing changes are barely more difficult than just shorts. Fit in critical areas is equal to or better than bibs. Yup - all straps stretch. With bibs you have to pull out needle and thread or settle for less than. Suspenders - simply move the buckle. And when buying, simply easier. All that matters is the shorts. Strap length is adjustable.

The place where suspenders really shine is on the week long ride of Cycle Oregon. All my #2 stops are in riding gear. 40 degree temperature changes in the am happen. Being able to pull shorts off, remove a long john and reassemble without pulling off several jerseys in the "blue room" mid ride - yeah!