Old 06-21-22, 07:38 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I have Campagnolo Athena 11 on my gravel / all-day ride bike. The hood shape is more comfortable, and the extra effort to shift is okay -- I'm usually cruising along on this bike. I like it.
Even with big hands, it's a bit of a reach sometimes to shift from the drops. I have better leverage for the long throw of the front shifter from the hoods.

My road bike has Di2. 30,000 miles, and it still works perfectly. I shift a lot on rolling hilly rides, or when keeping up with faster riders on the flats, looking for just the right gear. I'll shift, do a few pedal strokes, then shift again. I'd likely stay in a non-optimal gear if it was mechanical.

A group ride turned a corner, and suddenly there was a short, steep pitch. Us three Di2 riders instantly shifted to the small ring, and a few rear cogs, spinning up the hill. Most all the other riders were stuck in a high gear, grinding up the hill.

I've had my phone out to take a picture on a quiet road, and shifted with my ring finger while holding the camera. Nice!