Old 06-22-22, 03:35 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
A LOT of the threads on the C&V forum involve people looking for parts that are still in working order to replace parts that have worn out. 40 year old bikes today are kept alive by cannibalizing other 40 year old bikes and parts. For example, I needed to replace the Dura Ace 7200 crankset on the Lotus Supreme I bought, and I found one on Ebay, which had to have been taken off another 40 year old bike.
That's only true if someone is determined to keep their old bike bone stock. Then sure, you have to poke around on eBay looking for good used or NOS parts. But if you just wanted a good square-taper crankset, you probably have more choices now than you did when the bike was new. Did you even look at offerings from Sugino, for Velo Orange, for example? Same thing with square taper bottom brackets. There are PLENTY of choices, from budget to boutique - more choices now than we had back then.

All of my bikes are over 30 years old and I have had no trouble sourcing parts for any of them, whether that be a freewheel, rim brakes, derailleurs and shifters, square taper BBs and cranks, quill stems, you name it. In almost all categories, I think we have more choices now than at any other time. The one exception I can think of is 27" tires - we don't have more choices but those that are still many excellent choices.