Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
That certainly seems likely.

Mine arrived yesterday, after USPS took it on the "Tour of Maryland" ride; 13 USPS scans in 36 hours all within 10 miles of my house. I was afraid it would get lost and BTD would just give me a refund and not a 2nd saddle at that price - whew!

Beautiful saddle. That said, it feels like it might be tan-painted cast iron. I need to do a search on the latest (and probably conflicting) topics on break-in products and processes. Not counting the new Ideale on the Gitane with few miles, this is my 1st all-leather saddle since a Wrights bought in 1968, which looks pretty well broken in now.
Since leather is a natural product, there's a lot of variation in break-in time. My go to method is to put a new saddle on a commuter bike (you do have several bikes, no?) and break it in 9 miles at a time.When it starts getting comfortable it gets switched to a longer rider.

The harder they are out of the box, the longer it takes to break in, but those seem to last longer as well. I've never used Proofhide or other similar products, but you often see reports of people here using it to shorten the break-in period. I'm sure others will comment on their methods.