View Single Post
Old 06-26-22, 12:31 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 2,037 Times in 991 Posts
Just picked this '85 Voyageur SP (my first Voyageur in a long line of Schwinns, and a SP, which I'd really hoped for) and am absolutely enamored with it! Bike is MINT, albeit dusty (doesn't show in the photo), and completely stock save for the brake pads and tires (Specialized Transition 27 x 1 1/4" that measure...25.5mm ). This photo was on the test ride after angling the bars and adjusting the saddle height to the max point in the 27.2mm-not-26.6mm-like-the-catalog-says seatpost. Afterwards I swapped to a different seatpost to get the extra 1/2" height I needed, as well as threw on a new chain to deal with some grabbing-skipping. Turns out the 3rd and 2nd largest cogs are worn (2nd is the worst), though the new chain did help noticeably. The bike spins easily and smoothly. Even over crappy streets with freaking 25mm tires, it comports itself very well. I thought the heavy rims/wheels would be to its detriment, especially after riding and knowing the benefits of light 700C wheels and tires, but this bike is very much "as one". I have new tires coming for it, and I already have new brake hoods. The whole thing needs a good cleaning and polishing, which I will do piece-by-piece,. It's going to glow even more than it already does!