Crake

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
(putting on mechanical engineer hat)

I doubt the heat itself will affect the bike in any way.

Sunlight and ozone will kill rubber and some plastics, and high humidity will accelerate corrosion.

If you keep the bikes dry and out of direct sunlight, you probably won't see any damage.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well you do what you have to do... or want to do.

Once you rid yourself that theft in your neighborhood won't be an issue, then the only other thing I imagine will be at issue is corrosion or rust. For that I'd tell you the same as any that keep their bike inside and still have that issue. Keep your bike as clean an dry as you can so corrosion and rust don't start. If it gets wet, put a box fan in front of it so the air dries it quickly. Spray the unpainted metal parts with a light lube or other petroleum based preservative.

Still, I don't even keep my best bikes in the garage. I take them inside the house with me. Much easier to walk out the door with my bike, everything else and just hop on the bike as I exit the door of the house.

If space in the house were an issue, I might have to put my wife in a tent or gazebo outside! (just joking... don't ever tell her I said this) <grin>
Originally Posted by Rick
You say canopy. Tires damaged from the sun and humidity or rain damage.
To clarify, it's only the humidity I'm concerned about, if its going to rain for a couple of days in a row, I'd bring the bikes in. The canopy is 12'x12' over a raised concrete slab and against one wall of the house, no part of it gets direct sunlight or direct rain. and it wouldn't ever be in a pool of water. Our backyard is harder to break into than the garage, so theft is not an issue either.

I think it would be fine but I don't have a clue how fluctuating relative humidity and temp. effect bike parts.

I live in the suburbs outside NYC, so roughly avg summer days 65-90°F through the day with humidity swinging from 60% to 85% relative humidity...