Thread: E bikes
View Single Post
Old 07-05-22, 08:26 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I like to ride the ebike in July when it's often hot, humid, and the horseflies and deerflies are at their worst. They can drive you crazy if you get caught in the woods grinding up a hill in my my locality. They are only bad in July, so this month I either take my road bike out for a quick ride in the morning and stay out of deep woods, or stick to paved roads in the afternoon and outrace the pests on the ebike.

Generally, the ebike is just a different experience; more of a pleasure cruise vs a workout. But it's still a good workout. I spend about the same time on a typical ride, an hour and a half is good for me; I just go a lot further on the ebike vs my road bike or gravel bike.

I tend to ride the gravel bike in Autumn when the shadows make road cycling more dangerous on paved roads with lots of traffic. Road biking is reserved for those times of day when traffic is sparse. The ebike with a rack and pack is also great for trips to the farmstand in late summer and early Autumn.

My cycling is down this year as golf is becoming more frequent (I always walk nine holes, which is all I'm good for at 66), but having a variety of bikes, including an ebike, is a blessing. And variety in type of cycle, matched with route choice, is key to staying safe and enjoying the ride.

I'd have loved to have an ebike when I was younger to commute to work on, though you really need a shower at workplace to make that ideal if you're white collar and need to look your best. I managed it on my Raleigh back then, but the time involved in packing clothes, riding, and showering before work meant being up with the sun.
Likes For Chuckles1: