View Single Post
Old 07-08-22, 06:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10621 Post(s)
Liked 12,241 Times in 6,277 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
We still wear ours at the grocery store even though most people do not. I carry one on the bike but haven't been wearing it when we stop for snacks. We do always eat outside.
Was going to meet the guys at the old job and go to lunch last week but one of them got the 'vid and was pretty sick. I wanted to see him and ask about how they are jerking him around a bit, kinda like they did to me when they thought they had a replacement for me (he told them no at the last minute). This guy has been there 25 years and works harder than nearly anyone there yet they are risking losing him.
I remember years ago at Genentech, there was a growing number of non-PhD folks like me, Senior Research Associates (then), who had 8-10 years of lab experience and wanted to continue to take on more responsibility, etc. This conflicted with the academic model that PhDs are the only "real" Scientists. One of the higher ups in Research infamously said, "Why would we want to retain a Senior Research Associate, when we can hire 3 kids fresh out of college for the same salary?"

Of course, what he discovered was that 3 kids fresh out of college don't know what they're doing, and end up needing more supervision, and are less productive.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles