View Single Post
Old 07-09-22, 02:21 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Schreck83
Thanks for the offer. How standard is the threading on the NDS of these hubs? This is new territory for me.
My plan is to install Koolstop pads & holders for now and see how we like riding together. It's good to know there is an upgrade path that bolts on.
I believe the threading on the NDS rear hub is pretty standard, but I am not 100% sure. One way or another, you definitely want that Arai drum brake, if it will work on your frame. Look at the photo in SJX426's post. See that little tab brazed or welded on the NDS chainstay? Does your Schwinn have one? IF not, you will have to figure out some other way of anchoring that tab, preferably in a way that allows easy removal fo the rear wheel for fixing flats.

The Arai drum brake is not really for stopping (the rims brakes are much, much better for that), but rather to use as a drag brake so you accelerated less quickly on descents. Trust me, you want that. I don't know how big you and your intended stoker are (I and my stokers have all been, shall we say, hefty). Regardless, that tandem will accelerate much more quickly than any single you have been on. When you let off your brakes on a long downhill, even for a moment, the bike will positively leap forward to go faster. The drum brake keeps that in check. Run it from a barcon or some other means of "set and forget" usage - turn it on at the top, turn it off at the bottom. Some tandems are set up to have the stoker control the drag brake. I don't like that. (1) As captain, I want to be in control of all brake and shifting decisions. (2), I really don't want to be surprised by my stoker applying or taking off a brake. Surprising the captain is a bad thing on a tandem.

Fantastic find. Enjoy.