View Single Post
Old 07-10-22, 03:47 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 144 Posts
Trek 710 with a story

Learned Friends:

Thanks to those who chimed in on the "looking for one of these" Enabler Thread. Don't we love spending each other's money. Of course I called and looked at this bike, and once I saw it in the flesh, I bought it. Aside from the gum hoods, it's in rideable shape. Anyone have a good source for Dia Compe hoods?

The "story" is that while the frame is a 1978 Trek 710 per the serial number, the rest of the bike is from a later time.The owner appears to be in his 80s and obviously did not ride it much. But he remembers buying the bike new at the LSB, and he does not seem to have memory issue. He said to his wife things like "I'd just retired, and Jerry was in high school" and then he told me he'd paid $650, which in 1978 would have bought any two Treks. He gave me the Zéfal mini pump that he bought at the same time, and here's the thing that makes me a believer: My new steed is shod with 28x700C "Specialized Touring" tires. Who would have outfitted a bike like that in 1978?

My guess is this frame was special-ordered and hung around the store for a few years, though I don't suppose there is any way to find out. I might pop in the LBS in question -- they operate under a different name, but the prior owner helps out, so he may remember something.

This is such a time capsule that I'm thinking I won't do anything with it except install a Technomic and a 44 cm Noodle bar, and ride it like that for a while. I'll probably 650b it at some point, but I've got enough projects, and it would seem a shame not to just enjoy it for a bit. Now I've got to re-learn how to ride with toe clips and straps. So awkward when you forget to pull your foot out...

Anyway, below are some pictures, because I know you lechers like this sort of thing.

cheers -mathias

Last edited by steine13; 07-10-22 at 05:18 PM.