View Single Post
Old 07-15-22, 12:53 PM
portals

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
So, 5 months later the ebike build is now almost complete, it's still in testing so will tidy up the cable management when I'm 100% happy.

Original plan was to take donor bike and make it an ebike for a budget of £500 however it's turned a bit in to 'Trigger's broom', the only original parts are the frame, seat and head set, everything else is new for various reasons.

I took it for first test drive 10 weeks ago without brakes which was a mistake, long story short smashed it head on in to bollard near where I live at approx 10mph, left knee was knackered (4 weeks on crutches), and bent original steel front forks...a lesson learnt.

Knee is pretty much sorted now and on second test drive I spun the rear wheel out of the dropouts despite the torque arm, luckily I noticed when stopped that the nuts on both sides were hand loose....yikes...close call.

Local bike guy re-did the rear hub assembly and bent the dropouts back.

It's a 1500W rear hub powered by a 52V 17.5Ah Samsung battery pack.

eBike kit: £300
battery: £500
shot blasted and powder coated frame/new brakes/rear derailleur/shifter/new front wheel/new front forks/2 tires & tubes/stand: £300

After summer I will add a pannier and mudguards

So I went well over budget

However I'm very pleased with the final result, it goes like the clappers and is a pleasure to just mosey around on using level 2 PAS.

I need to find a solution to fit a second torque arm on drive side, anyone got any suggestions?

Here are some pics:

Likes For portals: