View Single Post
Old 07-18-22, 06:30 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
The amount of padding means very little. A good quality chamois makes a world of difference. Butt soreness depends on 2 factors: The saddle (fit) and friction.
Well, I'd amend that to say that some chamois just don't work for some people. There's a major, reputable brand of bibs that I can't use because the chamois just doesn't work for me, it rubs me raw. Which is fine, there are many other brands that do work for me.

Personally, gel chamois did not work for me (I have a limited data set, n = 1 brand I've tried, so I'm by no means an expert). I can't say whether or not a gel chamois would work for you. You've gotten lots of good advice in this thread. I'd agree with others above that "soreness" is not a chamois/saddle/fit issue. Chafing and saddle sores could be a chamois/saddle/fit issue.

As far as where on the saddle to position your butt, as others have said they do, I shift around. I spend most of my time with my butt on a part of the saddle that supports my sit bones, though, and a smaller amount of time on a part of the saddle where my weight is on my "taint". I try to keep some portion of my weight on my legs - unless I'm spinning really fast, or going very slowly, which is why 30 min. rides with my kids when they were learning to ride their bikes were sometimes more painful than multi-hour rides on my own.