Old 07-20-22, 01:25 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by timsch
I'd assume geometry is part of it, but what else, other than crappy components?
The geometries are the same; the components make the difference, not necessarily 100% weight, but certain wheels, etc. The fork in the earlier models was not great. They changed to a threadless fork later, not on the PDG version, but the fork makes a big difference, too.

Originally Posted by timsch
I'd be interested to know more about what build makes it magnificent vs sluggish.
Sluggish: My first build was 600 Ultegra, model is 6400, a.k.a. "tricolor." The wheels were Araya CTL370's on the tricolor hubs. I think the sheer weight was a factor, and 1992 wheels, by 2010, are probably kind of dead. I was not into getting them trued and tensioned. Fork was a Kestrel EMS, steel steerer, quill stem, alloy bars, seat post, "normal saddle." It rode, well, not well compared to a couple nice steel bikes.

Not sluggish but horrible: Probably my 3rd or 4th 200-series was a later-model 200SCI, 1" threadless Kestrel EMS Pro fork. I was asked to build it as light as possible, and I did. I used 9-sp DA FD/RD/DT shifters, Modolo composite brake levers, a corncob cassette, full carbon stem/bar/saddle, very light Nimbus wheels, external cup FSA carbon cranks. It was around 16 lbs, very stiff, and rode like a piece of plywood on wheels. It was light but did not want to move out of a straight line. I rode it one test ride and promptly shipped it to the CA bike shop that wanted it.

Amazing, not sure why: A friend bought probably a pre-1990 frame with a 1" threaded Kestrel EMS fork. It was green and especially ugly, white lettering. He pulled the fork for a Ritchey Carbon 1" threadless, FSA headset, carbon stem/FSA alloy bars. He installed 2x10 5700 shifters, 6700 FD/RD, a Stronglight Pulzion crankset, and American Classic Victory 30 wheels, Origin8 TorqueLight calipers. He had it repainted all black, eschewed decals. We were on a ride, me on a 16.5lb Wraith and he on the Kestrel. His FD came loose, so I volunteered to ride it home on the small ring and figured he'd like the Wraith during the swap. It was fast, nimble, light. I had probably the fastest 6-7 miles I've ever done on it, carrying far more speed than normal. We finished up, and we swapped back. I couldn't get the Wraith to ride like that, even in the same gear. Instantly curious and jealous. I think it was the combination of the components and very lively alloy wheels.

A while ago, I got an excellent deal on a 2011 SuperSix, 2x10 Di2 Ultegra, SuperTeam wheels. I swapped in Zipp 404 tubulars. Well under 16 lbs and Di2-steady. He let me know it was time for him to get "a newer bike." I traded him the SuperSix for the Kestrel and a set of DA9000/Mavic Open Pro UST wheels. While it may have been a bit "light" on my side, I have what I thought was magic and he's on a modern bike he won't be replacing any time soon. I'm convinced it's the wheel/BB weight placement that made such a difference, but of course, it's everything. It rides great. It will never rival a precision petite Italian frame with the same components, but it's a ton better than any of the 200's I've had.

The reason I think wheels make a difference, is back when the Easton EA90 SLX's were the "standard," I built one with those, 9-sp Ultegra otherwise, and it rode pretty well. I tried a set of carbon wheels on one of the 200-series I built, and it seemed skittish. I know there were BB shell changes/issues during the production run, but not sure what they may have had to do with anything.

Writing this makes me want to take a crack at a Series 9, but it would only retain the frame, and Paramount fans, even PDG ones, would denigrate me more than they do now.

Were I to restore one, with the tricolor, I'd do the following, really just cleaning and tuning to a gnat's.....
1-re-pack that heavy BB.
2-get the OEM wheels trued and tensioned, try to bring some life back into them. O/H the hubs.
3-repack and adjust that headset.
4-get the Paramount stem. I believe it was a Tange Prestige and light enough. Swap the steel wedge for an alloy one.
4 twice-OEM bars.
5-use the smallest cassette I could for weight savings. The 8-sp were fairly heavy.
6-try 700x25 tires if they fit, stay away from ponderous tires and heavy tubes.
7-I guess the seat post is OEM, so that stays, same as the saddle.

Were I to keep the OEM appearance, but bring it up a notch or two:
1-sell the group and wheels, swap in 9-sp DA.
2-Maybe swap the crankset for an external-cup FSA carbon.
3-Find some wheels that look the part but are tons lighter. Plenty out there.
4-3TTT stem and Forma bars. Excellent for STI's and light.
5-get a better 1" threaded fork. They are out there.

The value likely would not change much. Certainly not against the current market.
The exception would be the OEM restoration and a PDG/Schwinn fan decides it's a collectable piece.
There are people out there with PDG Series 2,3,5,7 and 9. It happens.
Likes For bamboobike4: