View Single Post
Old 07-20-22, 04:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6272 Post(s)
Liked 4,300 Times in 2,409 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
How long can a set of cup and cone hubs last?

Several of the posters here have claimed that cartridge-bearing hubs are superior (not) because the bearings can be replaced if they go bad, whereas cup and cone hubs are throwaways.

First, it takes an immense amount of abuse to kill a mid-range or better Shimano hub. As in years of salt-water scuba bike polo or regularly using a pressure-washer to clean the bike. But working in a high-volume bike Co-op, I've seen many cup and cone hubs that need work. Mind you, these hubs were produced in the millions, so statistically, these hubs are not over-represented.
That may be true for the cup but cones are often easily damaged and frequently need replacement…and at a far faster rate than cartridge bearing hubs. Given Shimano’s predereliction towards planned obsolescence, that can make replacing a cone difficult. If you can’t find a suitable replacement, the hub is functional junk.

90% of the crunchy Shimano hubs that I see can be fixed with a new complement of ball bearings ($2), new cones (scavenged from damaged wheels - $5) and fresh grease of course. We have buckets of replacement cones and axle parts. It is only rarely that a hub is so abused that the cups are pitted. But these can be replaced too! Using the same tools and technique as replacing hub cartridge bearings.
But, again, you have to source the parts. I’ve never seen a replacement cup listed anywhere as a spare part. Granted, cup replacement is infrequent but that just makes getting the parts from a company that doesn’t support old tech even harder.

I just pulled this exercise off on a donated Dura-Ace (freewheel) hub. The cones, balls and cups were pitted beyond repair, and the 'grease' remaining in the hub was a black sludge mixed with metal shavings. Obviously, this hub has led a hard life and had never seen any care and attention.

I punched out the old cups and replaced them with ones from an old wrecked Campy Record rear hub - exact dimensional fit. Cones and balls were an easy replacement. Hub is good as new, and good for another few 10's of thousands of miles. Or more if serviced at yearly intervals.
See the problem here? You may be able to replace the cups but the stars kind of have to align for that to happen. You just happen to have the Campy cups on hand. If you didn’t have the cups, you can’t repair the hubs. Most people probably wouldn’t go the extra mile to find out if the Camp cups were the same dimensions nor, for that matter, think to try them.

Compare that to a cartridge bearing hub. I can measure them and get the replacement bearing quickly and easily from just about anywhere that sells bearings. Many of the ones on bicycles can even be picked up from an auto parts store.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: