Old 07-23-22, 07:20 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4315 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I think you will find that I was writing about different times. The importance of being aerodynamic will often be (depending on the amateur rider's priorities)
Pro in a time trial > Solo Amateur rider > Pro in a peloton (@ofajen is right on my being "stuck" on this equation)
You are skipping over a 4th item. You keep implying that pros in a race (not a time trial) are always in a peloton. This is deranged.

And it isn't "important" that a solo amateur be aerodynamic. This is just a claim you keep making. It doesn't matter if a solo amateur is a bit slower.

The amateur’s life won’t be much different if they are riding a $3k “cheapy” or a blingy $13k bike. Their job as a dentist isn’t going to change.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The cost and time necessary to be able to win a race says otherwise. An amateur rider is riding much slower. And it doesn't matter (it's not important) if they are a bit slower or not.
Tell that to the amateurs who are paying nearly 13,000 USD for a Pinarello Dogma F
No. An amateur paying $12k for a bike is generally just wealthy (or loose with money). They aren't spending all of their time training for races. And it still doesn't if they are a bit slower or not.

I think that when people walk into the local BS shop, attendants, as people have been saying on this thread, "this is the fastest bike in the world, ridden by the pros, the pros, the pros this and the pros that, the pros who get millions in prize money," so you can be sure it is the fastest, the best, the most sophisticated, and well worth it bike in the world, and only 13,000 USD.
$13k bikes are mostly vanity items. Like Rolexes.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
No one is arguing that riding in pelotons is different. You aren't "exposing" anything.
You missed a "n't" there, but reading it in, is it true that "No one is arguing that riding in the peloton isn't different"?
Yes, no one is arguing that they are the same. You keep arguing about pelotons being different. You aren't "exposing" anything.

You are right, no one argues that riding in the peloton is the same as riding solo, but the omission leads to that which I think may be purchase mistakes.
What "omission"?

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-23-22 at 07:48 PM.