Old 07-27-22, 08:05 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Your response to being called out for propagating bs is just to reiterate the same bs in more words. This "if it works for me, it will work for everyone"
I get a lot of that but it is really not what I think. I find that something works for me, and I don't think I am special, so I guess that it will work for some others so I share it.

is the mantra of all sorts of charlatans and purveyors of nonsense in the "weight control" industry. Yours is nothing but another stupid magic bullet idea that can only do harm.
I feel I do see "magic bullets" to which you refer. I like the videos of Durianrider, a youtuber, a bit but the way in which he promotes carbohydrate consumption ("carb the **** up") like it is a magic bullet, that disturbs me.

As I just wrote I see that the Cobb-Robbie style is only going to interesting to perhaps 10% of people on bikes for reasons such as
1) Traffic (the Cobb-Robie style will not work well in traffic because it reduces field of view)
2) Wanting to see the scenery (likewise)
3) Off road (likewise things to bump into)
4) When one can't bend over due to back problems
5) When one knows that ones belly is not going to go.
6) Wanting to ride in groups (criteriums, pelotons, groups of all sorts)

Nevertheless, I think that there is a large number of riders that could be doing, or aiming for, the Cobb-Robbie style but do not seem to be. So I wish to spread the good news.

If we're going to argue from anecdote, I somehow managed to go from 320 pounds to about 180 never once putting myself into that absurd riding position. One thing I learned from that is to never give unsolicited advice to people about weight loss because what worked for me (which I worked out by trial and error) was pretty much contrary to almost all of the advice I had been given by doctors, nutritionists, trainers and laypeople.
First of all well done.
Secondly why would you not share your good news?
Or, not you give the reason, because your new is contrary to the advice given by doctors, nutritionists, trainers and laypeople, does that mean you should not share? I think not. I want to know your way.

This stuff is incredibly individualized, no "diet" or regimen is known to work for more than a few people, and I have no reason to assume that what works for me (which is pretty extreme and takes more time than most people juggling family and work obligations have) will work for anyone else.
I'd like you to share anyway. I think that humans are not all that individualised. Their are loads of differences and loads of similarities. People can pick and choose. Success stories are always valuable, imho, even if they are only applicable to you.

Unsolicited advice, which is what you're doing, is almost never going to apply to any other individual, and is really a condescending and obnoxious thing to do
Unsolicited advice? This is a forum, a place for sharing good news. It will sometimes apply to someone else and in very rare occasions it will apply to no one else.

Simultaneously, there are lots of people on these forums saying this is how it is and that is nonsense, horse**** etc and that is better than sharing your successes because it is individual? I can not agree.

especially coupled with claims about the obese person's health. Hate to break it to you, but there's actually many, many otherwise healthy obese people.
I am aware that there are health obese people and affirmed the research presented that supported that assertion. I am also of the belief that obesity tends to negatively affect health. And I also believe that some people would rather not be obese in any event.

​​​​​​
Again, you are arguing from your experience, and this makes the supposed ad hominem of your alcoholism a relevant counter to your argument.
Ad homimen (attacking the person) may well be relevant, and in the case of my alcoholism, I am as I stated grateful for it. Where does the "supposed" come from?

You argue this is a comfortable position and that it isn't unsafe. Frankly, I would have no reason to trust any of those observations when they come from someone who is consuming a bottle of wine (at least that much, alcoholics are known for minimizing) per day. Alcohol is a thought distorting depressant, affecting both your ability to tolerate discomfort and your judgment.
You may be right about my alcoholism affecting my appreciation of safety. As someone that lives somewhat dangerously that my pervert my appreciation of what is and is not safe.

I don't think it affects my appreciation of comfort, especially since I don't ride my bike when I have been drinking but, maybe you are right. Does my consumption of alcohol make me think that riding like Robbie is not uncomfortable? I will ponder on this. It seem unlikely.

No, I am not "lecturing" you, I'm telling you you're entirely full of crap.
Ha. Yeah, you tell me!

[QUOTE=livedarklions;22588973]you want to argue that solo riders will be faster on your stupid bikes, go right ahead. [?QUOTE]
I am not so sure about faster. I find that I am myself faster. The main thing I want to suggest is that people will motivated to put our more watts over a longer period of time as is experienced when riding solo.

And as I have been asked more than once, 'why not put out the watts with ones chest parachute?' My response is that riding low can result in a bit more speed, or at least the feeling of speed, whereas heating the atmosphere results in nothing that we can perceive and can feel meaningless.

I know next to nothing on the subject other than people vary widely in their flexibility, and that I'd never feel I could ride in that position safely on the crappy, winding bumpy hilly New England roads I ride several thousand miles a year on.
Then my suggestions are not for you. That is okay, for you, and for me, and the world.

Just stop with the damn obesity moral panic rhetoric. It's obvious you're just throwing that in to give your kooky theories heft they can't carry.
You may be right, to an extent. Hmm....heft. I like the word "heft." A few things
1) I started this to combat my obesity and that remains my main (but not only) motivation. Speed, watts, style, whatever, are fun, but all secondary. I want to remain not-too-fat and I have in the past at least achieved this through the method I propose.
2) I do think that obesity is a mind blowingly big problem. There have been 1 million deaths from Covid in the past approximately 2.5 years. But in the same time there have been almost that number of deaths from obesity according to 1999 research, and the high number of deaths from COvid in the US are also partly due to the high prevalence of obesity.
3) I think that death is only a very small part of the problem of obesity. It can affect quality of life for many (but not all) people in many ways. It is often like, for me (but not sumo wrestlers and many others) a dimming of the lights of life (in my case), a sort of viscosity of life, making movement slower, many things more dangerous, often social appraisals less positive (in my case), and self appraisals less positive (in my case).
4) I don't know too many ways of reducing obesity. Giving up alcohol would be one, it is true. When I went to Australia about 15 years ago the only group of people, or category of people (other than perhaps East Asian Australians) that I noticed that looked non obese were the road bike cyclists.

Take my writing in any way you like or don't read it at all but if you tell me "do not write", I am sorry but respectfully, I am going to ignore that request.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
And sorry but you are wrong. I never said saddle height is the only thing that determines flatness as you indicated in your lecture.
I saw that coming and used the words " the main indicator" in an attempt to fend off "the only thing" criticism, but I failed. Was my "lecture" insufficiently clear? Did you read my "lecture"? I like to think I am reading your lecture.

Who cares what this guy thinks.
I do. Robbie seems to. Lance Armstrong and Greg Lemond paid for his advice.

People are using 36 bars nowadays
Do you mean 36cm wide bars? I would like some. I replaced the 42 on my Trek with some 38cm bars but I would have preferred thinner, ideally flared so as to get the variation provided by road bike bars in vertical dimension in the horizontal dimension also.
how is that less aggressive than the commonly used Cinelli 66-42 of yore?
I am sorry I don't understand. It is my impression that bars have got wider but I am not sure what 66-42 even means. Sorry.

You completely missed, ignored, or failed to understand the simple point that forearms narrower than the hips/thighs and more in-line with the torso is more aerodynamic than your antiquated setup
First of all, I wish folks would use "Cobb's setsup" more because I am just some "idiot" etc whereas Cobb is a world renown coach.
Secondly I am not sure how Cobb's set up is incompatible with the narrower set up that you are suggesting, particularly because I like to go, and often go narrow, using a very short tri bar on my road bike, using the bars with bend elbow, and using inward pointing brifters. Low and narrow is good, imho.

Do you not think all the Pro teams use wind tunnels?
I think that all the pro teams use wind tunnels, and that they ride in teams. They ride in teams. They ride in teams. Their set up is set up to facilitate riding in teams. They also ride in break always about, or less than 5% of the time. I always, that is to say, always, ride on my own in a break away on a time trial always always always. But the pros get wheeled out all the time, though the ride in a very different way to me and almost all the amateurs I see.

Checkout le blaireau's stem. I hear he was a pretty good rider.
Why do you show me a picture of a person urinating. Do you have not better picture?

Tim