View Single Post
Old 07-27-22, 02:18 PM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BabyCowHK
Birdy City (9SP STD) and Classic came with a square taper crankset which is not suitable for direct double chainring upgrade. Birdy Touring, 10SP Sport, GT and Rohloff have a wider chainline is because it's using the hollow crankset that provides a wider chainline. Many of my friends including myself have been using our hollow crank Birdys to do double chainring setup. That's the cheapest way to get a double chainring setup on Birdys.

The chain will scratch the rear fork when we use the square taper crank to do double chainring setup.

Also, Birdy with these BSA BB usually have 1x2mm spacer installed on the non-drive side and 2x2mm spacers on the drive side. That provides enough space for the 2nd smaller chainring t be installed. Funny enough the expensive Ti 2019 didn't have a single piece of spacer installed on the BB. That causes the chain to rub against the FD on Front-Small plus Rear-Large combination. I have no idea what was Pacific Cycles thinking in making such a low level mistake on a premium bike, or is it that they are taking customers for granted because we all paid to pre-order the bike?
Hey BabyCowHK
I have R&M Birdy Touring with hollow crankset and assume I can add a smaller chainring (36t?) to the current stock spider with 52t stock chainring? Will appreciate if you could share your experience with upgrading Birdies to 2x front chainrings. Assuming stock chain line will allow adding a smaller chainring, what else will I need, which front derailleur will you recommend, anything else I’ll need to
consider? Thanks