View Single Post
Old 07-28-22, 08:36 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4282 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Interesting right off the bat that a bicycle in the State of New York is apparently not considered a vehicle. That's one difference I don't think I like at all. Being considered a vehicle is what gives me more rights to ride my bike where I desire and follow a standards set of rules with less if's and's or but's that both motor vehicles drivers and I will be aware of.
How so?

How likely is it that a motor vehicle driver will know the differences a cyclist is supposed to follow on the road? Dumb motorist's notwithstanding.
Most motorists (most people) likely believe that a bicycle is a vehicle legally. So, enshrining this belief in the law won't change people's understanding.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/1231

Every person riding a bicycle or skating or gliding on in-line skates upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this title
This law says it doesn't matter (most, if not all, states have this law).

Really surprised at that one as New York city seemed to play a big part in the history of bicycle laws being established way back when. This is actually the first time I've looked at any other states laws and found that a bicycle is not a vehicle there. Most other states a bicycle is a vehicle.
It doesn't seem that uncommon that bicycles are not defined as vehicles. I suspect the reason comes down to avoiding needing to rewrite the traffic laws. Again, the law quoted above makes it irrelevant.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-22 at 08:54 AM.