Old 07-30-22, 02:55 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked 1,107 Times in 649 Posts
OK - Here's some interesting trivia that I have learned this week - a week that challenges some of the worst movies ever produced on the theme of "when details that shouldn't be a factor intrude on the story line".

There is a Priority Mail Large box that is the exact same length and width as the Flat Rate box, but which is about two inches taller. Last week, I had grabbed a couple boxes from the Post Office, not paying enough attention to things - not realizing they had this other very similar sized box.

I packed the box up very deliberately and commended myself at my box-filling prowess, as everything fit wonderfully. I labeled it and took it to the Post Office when I had a break on Wednesday, put it on the counter and heard the clerk say, "You know that isn't a Flat Rate Box?". Before I retrieved the box, the clerk insisted on weighing it to see what it would cost to ship. $109 and change. Um... no thanks.

I grabbed a Flat Rate box before I left (I was strapped for time and didn't have my tape). I left the box in the car, figuring it would be no big deal to just tape the bottom of the Flat Rate box closed, open the bottom of the box I had things in, and let gravity do the rest. I got an even smaller break from work Thursday, rushed to the Post Office, attempted the aforementioned magic trick and the Flat Rate box was hopelessly split on opposite sides. Grrr. I guess I'll just have to tape another box up and carefully lower the metal casing in. Well... I got one side to fit in, but the other got hung about 3/4" before it should have bottomed out. Recognizing this was not going well, I grabbed a couple more boxes and headed back home (where I work). Friday was a solid busy day, so I couldn't even attempt an escape, so I got up early this morning. I was able to fit the casing box into the Flat Rate box, but try as I might, I could not re-arrange things so that everything would fit.

So on to Plan "D" or "E", I decided that the only way to get the box to close would be to remove the bulky triple crank that had initially caught my eye (I sourced a new Hollowtech BB for $25.00 - which didn't sound too bad - and which hopefully I can install with tools I already have) - which will end up on the Motobecane Grand Touring that I picked up as a fixie a couple months ago. It is going to become a proper Tourer (and be designated as my future RAGBRAI vehicle?), and the BOC will have a few more choice additions which will take up less space.

It absolutely will be starting its westward journey on Monday, with apologies to all who are eagerly waiting in the wings.