Old 07-31-22, 09:06 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames67
200 bpm? 15 minutes? To me that is amazing. Like Dean Karnazes in a way. He has a body that scientists have found does not have lactate buildup; it clears before it can build up. So he can run hundreds of miles without stopping.

I'm going to try your suggestion about different positions on different bikes on my training road here, all uphill. At 77 and not well-trained, I'm not out of breath or breathing that hard, just bad muscle burn after about a hundred feet up the hill. Working on it twice a day usually for 30 minutes and low gears, high gears, sitting or standing, high or low cadence. I break down at the same point at the top of hill. It's frustrating although I can do it in higher gears than a month ago. I do figure eights at the top, on the level for recovery, and zoom back down after two minutes by the clock, and do it again. And again. I just started working on shortening that recovery time. Calorie intake seems to make little difference in these results and my nutritional and biannual blood draw readouts are perfect. I just don't build up endurance easily. But I will try it on my other bikes andI am persistent.
For positions, the #1 consideration is comfort and at the effort level you're attempting, you must be in a comfortable position / posture at the effort level.

If your muscles are still very sore from yesterday's workouts it might be a good idea to take one day rest or even more. Hard sessions are even harder if muscles are still very sore and performance is likely to deteriorate.

Bike fit for climbing maybe different from the flats especially if you deal with lots of climbs and few flats. Typically, the saddle is moved all the way forward, tilted down a little bit and raised a little bit. It may give you additional power and due to improved comfort on climbs but the adjustment may be uncomfortable in the flats. It's a compromise. Make sure you mark the current saddle position if you're planning on making those adjustments so you can put it back to where it was if it causes problems.