View Single Post
Old 08-02-22, 01:44 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
1971 Bianchi build

So many of you likely saw the subject bike Randy offered on the for sale thread. Its mine now.
I am not ready to follow through with the title of this thread yet as I am in decision mode. In the mean time, I have two questions.

1, I tried using an 8mm binder bolt, but it won't fit. Slightly too big in diameter. For those who know Bianchi of this period, Did they use a proprietor binder bolt? I noticed the notch but don't know if it is original or "formed." I have a binder bolt that should match but it too is too big, 8mm. Yes I could ream it out but want to know first if there is an original option.
P1050694 on Flickr

2. There appears to be a number boss on the back side of the head tube. Is that what it is? It certainly is not a pump beg due to its location. Which models included a number mount? Is this an indication of a higher end bike?
PXL_20220713_110311849 on Flickr

WRT to the holes in the TT. I was hesitant to buy the frameset because of the holes but decided that finding a frame in my size in Celeste with chrome lugs (downfall) and integrated HS was too much to pass on. After consulting with the boys on the framebuilders forum, I will likely fill them with metal filled JB Weld. I am trying to find a solution for a backing so I don't fill the tube!

I also purchased touch up paint but it is too dark. I may add a bit of white to get it closer.

The other quandary is to determine if I will strip and repaint. I am really liking the Patina and may just mount the decals after cleaning it up.May have to stress them to match the rest of the bike.

The build will be with Campagnolo near period correct parts. I have wheels, '71 RD, a FD of the right model, record DT shifters, brakes and levers. All pre-CPSC also purchased the crank and pedals from Randy. Great prices.