View Single Post
Old 08-03-22, 02:14 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3849 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 809 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
But you ignore the effects of lactate accumulation. Lactate may be a good fuel source, but tell me, what causes too much to build up and what happens because of it?
It's true, I didn't cover it too much in text, I just let the videos to do the talking, since they are experts.

First one is this, which gives some history to the lactic acid myth.

And then this one that goes into addressing the burn and how quickly it is removed from the body, based on research. Granted this is an old video from 2009, so if there is some newer research that counters this, I'm open to looking at it.

About the 2:00-point in the video it starts talking about the burn, then it talks about the muscle pain in the following day(s), which leads to how quickly to body clears it out. And then it goes into how the body builds up in lactate. The thing I learned from this video is that there is NO switch the body makes in going from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism. And as far as building up lactate, I think it depends on how much anaerobic metabolism one is participating in and this can be altered by training.