Old 08-04-22, 07:19 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
In the context of the thread the UCI time trial bike is highly (I would say) unsuitable to amateurs who are not pushing a competitive edge. I still believe that the UCI time trial bike is ridiculous, or highly inadvisable. The UCI time trial bike set up is highly inadvisable because while amateurs want go to fast, speed is not everything. There is a balance between as you say, a number of factors such as
aerodynamics
being or not being so constrained as to not be able to push the pedals
My saddle position on my road bike is setup in exactly the same forward position as a TT bike. The saddle is adjusted all the way forward in the rails using a zero setback seatpost in a relatively steep seatube angle frame. I only need to get my forearms horizontal on over the handlebar while holding the hoods and I'll be in a very good approximation of traditional TT posture, except my forearms will be much farther apart. Didn't find problems with it except for forward visibility.

In addition, my saddle is tilted down -5 degrees. And I can still push the pedal forward. I know so because if I didn't, my butt would be sliding forward and my hands would go numb pushing myself back on the seat all the time. But as it is, I'm quite comfortable with that setup because I do push the pedals forward.

In fact, I have read the same thing from pro fitter Steve Hoggs. He mentioned that for riders who drop their heels, they can adjust their saddle in more forward position (or KOPS instead of balance) to actually compensate for the push forward motion, else, the rider might actually slide backwards as they pedal, causing them to involuntarily pull on the handlebar. If you drop heel, especially at the top of the stroke, you will inevitably push the pedal forward.

And if you have trained your glutes well enough, they'll be engaged just as well in the TT saddle position. I have big and strong glutes even though my saddle is in TT position. The TT saddle position is actually quite friendly to your lower back / core muscles and in most cases will improve your power output because of more open hip angle and therefore, help increase speed.

Pros often sit in the TT saddle position on their road bike simply by sitting closer to the nose to maximize power and avoid hurting their back. They don't do it all the time but they do spend time in that position quite often during a race.

Last edited by koala logs; 08-04-22 at 07:24 AM.
Likes For koala logs: