Old 08-04-22, 03:57 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cstar
Finally finished rehabbing my '79 Windsor Carrera. I took every last piece of this thing apart and cleaned and re lubed it. The freshly greased and adjusted Sansin hubs will spin for days. Oddly enough, the Suntour freewheel body had too many shims from the factory. It was the loosest one I've ever seen. I fully disassembled the cogs and body, removed the extra shims, and added 1 ball bearing. Thoroughly cleaned, re lubed, and adjusted to have the tiniest hair of play. There's nothing better than the feeling of bearings that you've personally adjusted to perfection. Also honed the seat tube for a super smooth finish. It's not the lightest bike but is a very soft and smooth riding frame with a quick front end. The 25.8mm seatpost and 21.1 stem suggest it may be high ten, though catalogs suggest it was straight gauge chromoly. Though I have seen these features on crmo frames. I doubt there's really any way to know for sure. None the less I rather like it. The factory chain is rather hefty and shifts poorly so I think I will use a new KMC 6-7-8 speed chain for a crisper shifting experience.
Or Wipperman 708. Same price, better chain (in my opinion)